Applications Now Welcomed
The Distinguished Daughters election and installation occur every two years in even-numbered years since its inception in 1998. Classes were inducted in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020. The Distinguished Daughters Committee is preparing to select the 2022 Honorees for the Court of Honor. Any GHS graduate may nominate herself or another alumna for this honor, the highest one bestowed by the Alumnae Association and the School. The Committee will make the final selection from among the nominations submitted. The new inductees will be chosen from nominees representing a broad range of professions and achievements. Nominees may be living or deceased.
The nomination period opens on February 1, 2023. All nomination packets must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business Wednesday, June 1, 2022.
The nomination packet must include:
- A cover letter from the nominator(s) stating the reasons for the nomination.
- Contact information for themselves and the nominee (if living).
- The nominee's complete and up-to-date resume. Supporting materials, such as photocopies of awards, articles, newspaper clippings, are encouraged, as well as letters of support describing the nominee's achievements and any other appropriate documents to enhance the nominees' chances of selection.
The following guidelines have been established and are required for the applicant to be considered:
- The nominees are women who typify the "Intangible Spirit" of The Philadelphia High School for Girls because they have studied intensely and achieved within their chosen professions.
- Honorees must be members of the Alumnae Association of the Philadelphia High School for Girls.
- They have contributed in an outstanding way to the community, the city, the state, the nation, or their impact extends globally. Their achievements can be in many fields such as intellectual or social causes, government, science, the arts, and other areas of endeavor.
- Or they are women who serve as role models, not only for the students and graduates of Girls' High but for girls and women everywhere. They have paved the way for the women of the future.
Court of Honor Expectations
- Once nominated to join this group of distinguished women alumnae, the nominee will be expected to:
- Attendance at Induction Ceremony (in person, via Zoom, or a video acceptance if you are unable to attend).
- Make an annual contribution in accordance with one's personal ability.
- To become an active part of the Distinguished Daughters Community to assist in carrying out projects/programs of Alumnae Association and the Philadelphia High School for Girls.
- Give talents to school (Career Day, Mentorship, and offering internships).
- Be amenable to the use of name and image strictly for the enhancement of programs and projects of the Philadelphia High School for Girls.
- Should you be nominating another person other than yourself, please make certain that person is in agreement with your planned nomination and that she also understands the requirements and expectations of an applicant and possible nominee.